UK  Pubs For Sale
Pubs For Sale With Planning: 020 7644 2333

Changing Use Of A Pub

Pubs in the UK have a flexible A4 planning 'use class' that normally can be changed to residential or A1 use (say, for a newsagents), A2 (a delicatessen or a firm of solicitors or architects) or A3 (restaurants).

Changing the use of a pub or public house is not always a clear-cut issue and should be treated with care. The construction of new buildings, substantial alterations and additions or a fundamental change of use of land or buildings will, in most cases, require planning permission.

Change of Business Use: Permission & Consent

Local Authorities have a number of ways to control property development within their area. Enforcement Notices, Breach of Condition Notices and Stop Notices are designed to prevent or rectify breaches of planning control.

With all building work, the owner of the property or land in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations. Failure to comply with the relevant rules will result in the owner being liable for any remedial action which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration.

Lawful Development Certificates can be sought by you to find out whether your existing or proposed use of land or buildings is lawful in planning terms.

Change of Use For Pubs

UK pub sales agents - Pubs for sale in England, Scotland and Wales
UK Pub Sales Agents: Paramount pub sales agents offer pubs, hotels, wine bars, restaurants, public houses, night clubs, inns & taverns for sale in suitable for change of use or planning consent
closed, empty, run down, derelict & distressed pubs for sale
Closed Down & Empty Pubs: Search run down, derelict & distressed pubs, hotels, restaurants and other licensed properties for sale in need of planning permission or consent for change of use
Freehold pub sales, pub trade brewey, pub chain and pubco news, trends, forecasts
UK Pub Sales Blog: Change of use news: planning applications and consent for changing the use of pubs, wine bars, restaurants, and hotels for residential & commercial property developments
Pub estate agents selling pubs in England, Scotland and Wales
Change Of Use: A4 business use properties for sale suitable for application for consent to change the use to residential dwellings, A1 use, A2 use, A3 use in England, Scotland & Wales
Commercial Property Agents: Commercial Property Investments For Sale in the UK
Buying a Pub: Freehold pubs, sports pubs, gastro pubs, restaurant pubs, brew pubs, wine bars, free houses, traditional public houses, real ale pubs, bistros pubs & family pubs for sale
Pub co, pub chain & brewery pubs for sale
UK Pub Sales: Pub co, pub chain & brewery pubs for sale in London, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Hull, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Leicester, Newcastle & Bradford

Change of Business Use, Planning Permission & Consent


Change of Use, Planning Permission & Consent for Development Land & Properties

The majority of our freehold property development opportunities are not offered on a 'subject to planning permission ' basis which means it is essential for applicants to conduct their due diligence in this respect before commencing negotiations. This is easily done by consulting with the relevant Local Planning Authority or/and following the guidelines set out in the most recent Unitary Development Plan (UDP).Please contact us for more information on properties & development land without planning permission for sale in the UK

Planning permission is not generally needed for internal alterations to buildings that do not affect their structure or external appearance, for small external works, or most works of repair and maintenance. However you should always check first.

There are certain types of change of use, which do not require planning permission. For example, a change of use from one type of shop to another does not (normally) require planning permission. These are set out in the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes Order) 1987.

Certain changes are permissible between and within the use classes without the need for planning permission, subject to satisfying the appropriate criteria.

Change of Use & Planning Permission: Use Classes

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes'.

The following list gives an indication of the types of use which may fall within each use class. Please note that this is a guide only and it's for local planning authorities to determine, in the first instance, depending on the individual circumstances of each case, which use class a particular use falls into.

  • A1 Shops - Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices (but not sorting offices), pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes.
  • A2 Financial and professional services - Financial services such as banks and building societies, professional services (other than health and medical services) including estate and employment agencies and betting offices.
  • A3 Restaurants and cafés - For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises - restaurants, snack bars and cafes.
  • A4 Drinking establishments - Public houses, wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not night clubs).
  • A5 Hot food takeaways - For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises.
  • B1 Business - Offices (other than those that fall within A2), research and development of products and processes, light industry appropriate in a residential area.
  • B2 General industrial - Use for industrial process other than one falling within class B1 (excluding incineration purposes, chemical treatment or landfill or hazardous waste).
  • B8 Storage or distribution - This class includes open air storage.
  • C1 Hotels - Hotels, boarding and guest houses where no significant element of care is provided (excludes hostels).
  • C2 Residential institutions - Residential care homes, hospitals, nursing homes, boarding schools, residential colleges and training centres.
  • C2A Secure Residential Institution - Use for a provision of secure residential accommodation, including use as a prison, young offenders institution, detention centre, secure training centre, custody centre, short term holding centre, secure hospital, secure local authority accommodation or use as a military barracks.
  • C3 Dwellinghouses - this class is formed of 3 parts:
    • C3(a) covers use by a single person or a family (a couple whether married or not, a person related to one another with members of the family of one of the couple to be treated as members of the family of the other), an employer and certain domestic employees (such as an au pair, nanny, nurse, governess, servant, chauffeur, gardener, secretary and personal assistant), a carer and the person receiving the care and a foster parent and foster child.
    • C3(b): up to six people living together as a single household and receiving care e.g. supported housing schemes such as those for people with learning disabilities or mental health problems.
    • C3(c) allows for groups of people (up to six) living together as a single household. This allows for those groupings that do not fall within the C4 HMO definition, but which fell within the previous C3 use class, to be provided for i.e. a small religious community may fall into this section as could a homeowner who is living with a lodger.
  • C4 Houses in multiple occupation - small shared dwelling houses occupied by between three and six unrelated individuals, as their only or main residence, who share basic amenities such as a kitchen or bathroom.
  • D1 Non-residential institutions - Clinics, health centres, crèches, day nurseries, day centres, schools, art galleries (other than for sale or hire), museums, libraries, halls, places of worship, church halls, law court. Non residential education and training centres.
  • D2 Assembly and leisure - Cinemas, music and concert halls, bingo and dance halls (but not night clubs), swimming baths, skating rinks, gymnasiums or area for indoor or outdoor sports and recreations (except for motor sports, or where firearms are used).
  • Sui Generis - Certain uses do not fall within any use class and are considered 'sui generis'. Such uses include: theatres, houses in multiple occupation, hostels providing no significant element of care, scrap yards. Petrol filling stations and shops selling and/or displaying motor vehicles. Retail warehouse clubs, nightclubs, launderettes, taxi businesses, amusement centres and casinos.